Remembering Mike Roberts

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Rick a

Remembering Mike Roberts

Post by Rick a » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:46 am

Does anyone here remember Mike Roberts?
For years he ran Mike Roberts Color Producions, a post card and printing company. He was known as "Americas post card king". In the early 1970's I worked for a company that sold New England post cards.
But, he was also an avid antique motor car collector and restorer. I can remember once a year the company would receive his yearly calendar of old cars he had restored. They were beautiful and I wish I had a few of those calendars now.
Has anyone on this site had any experiences with Mike?

15max

Re: Remembering Mike Roberts

Post by 15max » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:07 am

My first experience with HCCA and the Gazette was a cover with a high wheeler in a barn. It captured everything I could imagine about a horseless carriage. After joining, each issue with his cover photos was a treasure. I got to sit across from him at a dinner banquet on a tour and he had the most wonderful stories. One was about a bet he had with Amelia Earhart that his Harley Davidson could make it to Kansas City faster that her airplane. He said he won the bet because he could travel at night.

Susanne

Re: Remembering Mike Roberts

Post by Susanne » Sat May 22, 2021 5:00 pm

How can anyone forget Mike's amazing photos for the Gazette? I was fortunate enough to meet him when I was young, and he actually spurred my interest in photography for a number of years... His stories were legendary; tho I had no idea about his bet with Ms. Earhart, I do remember about his talking about when he packed up his sidecar with his wife and cameras and moved to California ...

My dad had quite a few of his old postcards, and of course, anyone who;s had their nose in the Gazette from years past is familiar wiht his work!