1912 Flanders 20 Sp...

Notifications
Clear all

1912 Flanders 20 Spruce Up - Any Interest?

Page 1 / 6

Mark Strange
Trusted Member

I purchased the 1912 Flanders 20 from Dragone Motors and have been working on it for a month now. If there's interest, I will post photos here occasionally to document the process. My intent is to leave the paint and body alone, install the correct components and accessories, and get the car running on its original Splitdorf low tension magneto and coil box setup. The engine turns freely, has good compression, and the clutch seems to work. I have not tried to run the car yet (it was set up to run with a 6V storage battery and modern coil when I got it). Here are some photos of its arrival from the shipper. The windshield and associated brackets came with the car, it is currently boxed up, along with a tail light and Prestolite tank.

4132=2546 IMG 7907
4132=2547 IMG 7908
4132=2548 IMG 7909
4132=2549 IMG 7910
4132=2550 IMG 7928
Topic starter Posted : January 4, 2021 3:23 pm
Peter Mc Intyre
Trusted Member

Always interested,fire away cheers pete

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2021 5:53 pm
Mark Strange
Trusted Member

Thanks, here are a few more pics. Thanks to a few helpful members, I was able to obtain a set of correct E&J sidelights and tail light. I also obtained an E&J acetylene generator for the headlights. I personally prefer the look of a generator vs. the Prestolite tank. The top on the car is original and in acceptable shape. The upholstery looks presentable for display, but is too brittle for use, so I've removed it and sent it off to Elizabeth at Class-it-Up as patterns to have new covers made in mildly "distressed" looking vinyl.

4134=2551 IMG 8035
4134=2552 IMG 8034
4134=2553 IMG 8033
4134=2554 IMG 8032
4134=2555 IMG 8030
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 5, 2021 5:18 am
Alan Dewsnup
Honorable Member

Hello Cudaman,
Looks a very nice automobile from which to improve and make run as was original. Show us some under the hood pictures and also what you intend to do for ignition. Do you have all the pieces, mag. switch and etc.? Do you know history on the car or even the extent and when restoration took place?
Al

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 10:01 am
Mark Strange
Trusted Member

I was told that the car had been in storage for 40 years prior to being acquired by Dragone. The number on the engine says it was built in June 1912. It has a Rayfield carburetor with an intake adapter on it instead of the original Flanders carburetor.

The car has its original Splitdorf Model D low tension magneto and a (possibly later) Splitdorf Model TS high tension transformer/switch combination in the dash. The TS transformer must not have been working, because it was only being used as a switch to send battery voltage to the primary side of a modern 6V coil. The primary circuit was being interrupted by the magneto points and the high tension current from the modern coil was being sent back to the magneto distributor for distribution to the spark plugs. This makes me think that I might be able to get the magneto working with a good transformer box and a magnet recharge.

I have obtained an original Splitdorf box type transformer/switch unit and sent it off to R.V. Anderson to have it rebuilt. My intent is to wire the magneto and transformer box per the factory diagram, with the 6V storage battery connected to the transformer box battery terminals. I'll start it on battery, then switch to magneto and see if it will stay running. If it dies on magneto with the rebuilt transformer box, then perhaps the magneto magnets will need to be recharged. I could just run the car on the storage battery, but I would really like to get the magneto side of the dual ignition working.

4136=2556 splitdorf dual
4136=2557 IMG 8036
4136=2558 IMG 7972
4136=2559 IMG 7917
4136=2560 DSC 0462
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 5, 2021 1:54 pm
Alan Dewsnup
Honorable Member

How long did you say this automobile was laid up and not running? I think you have a great approach to this Flanders. How does this automobile relate and compare to an EMF?
Al

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2021 7:58 am
Mark Strange
Trusted Member

The folks at Dragone told me it had been in storage for 40 years before they got it.

The Flanders 20 car was manufactured by EMF, it was intended to be a low price direct competitor to the Model T Ford. The car was named after a former Ford employee, Walter Flanders, the "F" in EMF. The other two founders were Barney Everitt and William Metzger. The other EMF product at the time was a well regarded mid price car, the EMF 30.

EMF did not have an established dealer network, so they made an arrangement with Studebaker to market half of their cars through Studebaker dealerships. The remainder were sold through local independent dealers. The relationship between EMF and Studebaker was tempestuous, Studebaker eventually buying EMF using borrowed money, putting Studebaker deeply in debt. By 1913 all cars manufactured by EMF were rebadged as Studebakers.

There is an interesting book that covers the story of EMF and its founders:

https://www.amazon.com/M-F-Company-Automotive-Pioneers-Flanders/dp/076800716X

There is a website for EMF and Flanders enthusiasts:

http://emfauto.org/index.php

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 7, 2021 4:11 am
Mark Strange
Trusted Member

Right how I have the floor boards and upholstery out of the car. The current floor boards are all broken and chopped up, so I'll be making new floor boards. The original upholstery looked OK for museum display, but was too brittle to withstand any use. I have sent the old upholstery to Elizabeth at Class-it-Up for use as patterns to make new upholstery out of mildly "distressed" vinyl so that it better matches the patina on the rest of the car.

I really like the cast aluminum brackets that the top's rear curtain attaches to. They allow the top to be removed from the car as an assembly, without having to remove any welting or tacks. The top is in good condition, so it is safely folded and in storage while the rest of the work proceeds on the car. The swatches of blue tape on the body mark where side curtain "common sense" fasteners were placed.

4139=2561 IMG 8102
4139=2562 IMG 8098
4139=2563 IMG 8093
4139=2564 IMG 8088
4139=2565 IMG 8075
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 8, 2021 3:38 am
Mark Strange
Trusted Member

With the upholstery out, I decided to work on making new floor boards. The old boards were split in several places and chopped up, so I decided to make new ones out of premium 5/8 plywood. I also found the correct mount for the Jones speedometer and mounted it to the dash.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 20, 2021 11:25 am
Alan Dewsnup
Honorable Member

Nice work, Will your new seat upholstering be black also? I am anxious to see how that all comes together. Did you do the rubber floor mats? That is a nice job! I am curious to see how your top mounts to the brackets you have referred to. If you get a chance, please take a few pictures and share how the top is affixed to the brackets. At this rate you will be driving your automobile soon!
Al

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2021 1:13 pm
Mark Strange
Trusted Member

I have asked Classtique to make the new upholstery out of black "mildly distressed" looking leather so that it harmonizes with the patina on the rest of the car. The floormats came with the car, I didn't have to make them. If anybody has a picture of an original Flanders 20 floor mat, I'd love to see it.

The corners of the top's rear curtain of top have sockets that slip over the "ears" of the cast aluminum brackets on the rear of the body tub. The rear window section rolls up and is attached to the tub and corners of the rear curtain with "common sense" fasteners.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 20, 2021 3:16 pm
Guy Zaninovich

The Flanders is looking great. Looks like my carbide generator cleaned up nicely. Glad it found a good home! Keep up the good work and keep posting more photos. GZ/Motoringicons

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2021 7:13 pm
Alan Dewsnup
Honorable Member

Have you run this automobile yet? I am curious about the fuel system.
Al

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 6:29 am
Mark Strange
Trusted Member

It will be a while before I try to run the car. The engine does turn freely with good compression. I squirted a little Marvel Mystery oil into each cylinder and spun it over with the crank to keep thing freed up. I want to wire up the ignition per the original design, with the Splitdorf Model D low tension magneto and wood transformer/switch box on the dash. The box is currently getting rebuilt by R.V. Anderson. The magneto appears to be complete, but I won't know how well it works until I start the car on battery and then switch to magneto with it running.

Regarding the fuel system, it is gravity feed from the stock torpedo-style tank in the rear. The tank and sediment bulb appear to be in good shape, but the tank is empty and the fuel line is all mangled. The car is missing its original carburetor and now has a Rayfield carb with an adapter on the original intake manifold. The first two pics show the sediment bulb and the current Rayfield carb, the rest of the pics show what an original Flanders carb should look like (I found these pics on the HCCA forum). If anyone has an original carb they would be willing to part with, I would love to buy it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 22, 2021 12:45 pm
Alan Dewsnup
Honorable Member

How many Flanders 20's did they build in 1912 and then the surrounding years? That would give you an idea of how easy it will be to locate and purchase a correct carb.
Al

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 2:42 pm
Page 1 / 6
Share: